Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cats From Start to Finish: Vet Curse

Who knew how scary it would be to take your pet to a vet for the first time?

Scary for the owner, not the pet. The pet doesn't even know what you're up to.

But you do.

It was a trip worse than anything I'd ever done. Why? I don't know. To this day, I don't know.

I put little kitten Mitsy in the cardboard carrier with all the holes along the sides. She loved it, like a cave.

Not the car ride so much, though. That was pushing it a bit. It made her a little nervous.

But the smell inside the door of the veterinarian's office nearly made me turn around and run for home.

Disinfectant, dog, disinfectant, people, and more disinfectant. I could barely breathe in there, even though it was clean.

After checking in, I sat in a corner and put the carrier on the floor at my feet, and out came a tiny nose surrounded by ginger fur. She got a lot of attention with that cute little nose.

Even a dog's.

Mistsy pulled back her nose and shoved out a fist and punched the dog. Darned cute.

We waited and waited and my stomach rolled and I hated the smells and there was a parrot on a man's arm. It never shut up. The man loved the attention. Why else did he get a parrot?

Finally - "Mitsy? You're next."

Mitsy? There's a woman here named after my cat?

"Mitsy? You're next," the assistant said again.

Oh! That's me. Why did she say...?

Did she think that Mitsy could work her little paws inside the box and shuffle herself and the box across the floor and in through the open door? By herself?

I picked up the box and smiled and swallowed back my breakfast and hoped my face wasn't as green as it felt and my smile wasn't sickly.
The metal table was ice cold. The vet's hands didn't help Mitsy to relax, nor did the prick of the ugly needle. I nearly passed out from it.

No chicken when it comes to getting any injection myself, I couldn't bear to see Mitsy get one.

Then it was over. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Back home, she wouldn't leave the box.

Her eyes were saying, "Do you think I'm stupid or something? I am NEVER leaving the safety of this box again!"

A little butter wore that warrior down.

And a big promise to never, ever take her to the nasty old vet again.

(Until the next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment