Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mediterranean Cruise, Log Six: Catacombs

From Tunis, we sailed across the Strait of Sicily and docked at Palermo on the island of Sicily, the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and belonging to Italy.

I remember how cheerful the Sicilians were, happy to see a shipload of eager tourists arriving at their main seaport.

We were basically left on our own to do what we wanted, because the only tour offered was to the catacombs, and I had zero percent interest in seeing them.

One of my friends went with a group of women who came back later looking green and refusing to talk. Of course. That's why I didn't go.

Catacombs are underground tunnel rooms used as graves by early Christians and as refuges from persecution.

My friend said there were skeletons hanging on walls and mummified shapes, and the whole place went on forever and smelled strange and gave all the women the creeps.

He also said I was smart not to go.

What I did do was walk the streets of Palermo and talk to anyone who could speak a little English.

So I came away with fine memories, while the others who took the tour?

My friend said he never forgot the smell.

I never forgot the Sicilian friendly smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment