Sunday, June 3, 2012

United States of America, Chapter Nine: San Diego

Now that was an experience I enjoyed.

Just driving through the city to the hotel was wonderful. What a pretty city. Hot, though, being in the south of the state. Hot and dry.

The hotel was parked on San Diego Bay, near the naval base; a room with a view of dark, gray, sleek vessels, massive things at their moorings on the blue water. A joy to see.

There is so much water around San Diego, something I loved to be near.

The zoo was so spread out that it took tram rides to see it, unless you could walk steep hills for miles.  The animals had to have been happier there than in a tight zoo of pens.

Even the aviary was huge. Birds landed on my shoulders and my head, without even asking me. Strangers paused to take pictures of me decorated in birds. Why the birds chose to land on me, I don't know.

There was no Sea World then or I would have gone to it, but what a perfect place they have for it now.

One evening after dark, I went to a favorite spit of land to watch the sunset and feel the salt breeze and listen to the locals who came to hang out, to sit atop wooden picnic tables, smoke cigarettes, and talk.

A movement came from the water, a dark movement, silent except for a soft intermittent swish of calm water.

And then a cloud slid off the moon and I saw.

Huge, dark creatures were slipping past the spit of land, as silent as if I was deaf.

I was in awe. There were no sailors visible on these creatures. There were no engines loud enough to be heard.

Silent, secretive, powerful.

The United States Navy.

1 comment:

  1. Would have loved to see you covered in birds. Hope there were no accidents! Wowsers, if I'd seen those subs, I would have run screaming. Scary stuff. Wonder what it was all about. Love your blog sister dear, J

    ReplyDelete