Thursday, May 10, 2012

Home School aka Home Education

I got the concept before we even had a baby to adopt, the idea that educating my own children would be a good route to take.

I knew what I was going to do because I am a trained teacher, trained the old way at a Teacher's College for two years back in the `60s.

I also knew about all the flak I'd get from my family and my friends who didn't believe in it, but what really caught me by surprise was the ugliness from complete strangers.

I have always believed that people should mind their own business, and have always known that they rarely do, but still. My motto is: if I don't tell you how to raise your kids, then don't tell me how to raise mine.

Some examples of remarks are:

"Why don't you put those kids in a real school where they belong?"

"They'll never be able to cope in the real world."

"Give them up to strangers like the rest of us do in the real world."

"The real world" is that often ugly place where children are ignored, discouraged, pushed beyond their emotional capabilities at having to deal with nasty adults and nasty children, but sometimes they'll come away well-educated and well-adjusted, if they're lucky.

No thank you. These are my children, not the system's children, and they do so much better in the "real world" because they have spent their entire young lives growing, experiencing, learning, copying, and maturing in a safe and loving environment.

They therefore are capable of recognizing right and wrong, stupid and clever, from a balanced point of view. They are not unduly influenced by the irrational and irresponsible followers of society.

They think for themselves and they do it well.

Therefore, I would hope and expect them to not only survive in the real world, but to prosper and succeed and maybe even lead.

They are happy and peaceful. So am I.

And these qualities are not exclusive. Most home-educated children turn out to be well-adjusted, capable adults, unless their education experience is under par and their parental guidance is as well.

If you as parents know what you're doing and are capable, go ahead and home-school your precious children. I guarantee you won't regret it. And generally, neither will they.

No comments:

Post a Comment